Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Adware/spyware linked to ActiveX controls - what to do?

I've just upgraded my antivirus software to AVG 8.0 and ran a scan. It has found a whole bunch of adware linked to ActiveX controls in my HKLM registry (path HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\ ).



AVG is asking me if I want to remove them - which would mean they'll be encrypted and put in the virus vault - so they can be restored if needed, but I'm aware that messing with ActiveX controls isn't a good idea so I'm not sure what to do with them!



I don't even know how I got the adware as I have the 'optimum' security settings for ActiveX and only download them when asked, from legitimate websites.



I also haven't had any problems with popups etc as a result of the adware in the controls but my pc does sometimes run a bit slow and occasionally fails to boot when I switch on, I'm not certain that this is due to the adware either though.



Soooo... Should I 'let the sleeping dogs lie' or let AVG move them and see what happens?



Adware/spyware linked to ActiveX controls - what to do?internet



Go ahead and move them to the vault and see if your system runs ok,, Then if it does then after a week or so then go ahead and delete them and if you should notice something wrong after moving them to the vault then you can simply restore them,



SG



Adware/spyware linked to ActiveX controls - what to do?network



This is a really hard question to answer,



So I will recommend ,You have to check it out yourself.



Follow the link below and you'll come to a site that has all the info you need about "spyware / internet security".



Hope this helps out some way :)



http://syubrawi.com/spyware-blockers



http://fantastic-galleries.net/spyware



http://computer-internet-security-softwa...
Use Spybot and Ad-Aware to find and remove spyware.

No comments:

Post a Comment