Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Why does my McAfee antivirus program intercepts and deletes some installation files when installing

Got a big problem here, guys! I want to install WinPower to monitor a UPS on my system, but the bloody antivirus software deletes installation file and corrupts WinPower! This resulted in an unexpected shutdown of my PC. When I restarted, WinPower was running but it could not detect my UPS on any port. I am using a USB-to-serial converter cable for the UPS and the driver for that has been installed correctly.



I tried to disable the firewall of the antivirus program, but that had no effect. I also can't disable on-access scanning, because the software for some reason doesn't have that function. If I could do that, my problem with WinPower would probably be solved.



Why does my McAfee antivirus program intercepts and deletes some installation files when installing WinPower?norton



Anti-virus programs don't detect viruses, they detect strings of bytes that are typical of one virus or another. (I used to have McAfee keep complaining about programs I wrote, because one library routine looked like some virus it knew about.)



Turn McAfee off completely. Uninstall WinPower completely. Install WinPower. Turn McAfee back on. When McAfee complains about it, tell it to ignore that file.



And contact the McAfee people and tell them to rewrite the data file so that the program can tell the difference between WinPower and the virus it thinks is triggering it.

No comments:

Post a Comment